Sunday, July 6, 2008

Maasai Walk

Maasai Walk Redux

The Maasai Walk
Tanzania

By this point I was sufficiently impressed with Africa.  Before coming I thought I'd see some animals but they'd be mere specks on my photos.  You often hear of wildlife photographers going to zoo's to get good close ups up the animals.  Now this isn't to say I wasn't looking forward to the trip.  I was very much looking forward too it.  But it's safe to say I didn't know what to expect.  This photo was taken about 4 days in to the trip.  Again with my misguided expectations, I thought my time would be spent entirely in a Land Rover, with little hope of touching dirt.  This late afternoon however, we got that chance.  

We headed out to a salt water lake about half a mile from our camp.  It was about eight people from our group, two guides, and our one Maasai warrior who was there for our protection.  He didn't speak any english, and I didn't understand Swahili, so our guides provided the translations.  But what needed no interpretor was this warrior was absolutely fearless.  He walked with such confidence.  This was his home, and while we were concerned with poisonus snakes and hungry lions, he was enjoying the light breeze shooting across the grass carrying with it the taste of salt from the lake.  

About halfway home our group started asking him about the old ways of the Maasai.  Specifically about the marriage rights and the dowry a husband gives to the wife's family.  He told us in the old days a Maasai man HAD to include a lion skin for the wife's father.  Stunned and wondering how these people managed to survive for so many years with such a dangerous tradition we asked "Well how do you kill a lion?"  What came next needed no intereptor as few words were spoken, but he took on the role of storyteller and acted out both his part and the lions part.  This is what he said...

1) Find your lion
2) Stick your spear in the ground angled at the lion.  Notice in the picture the two ends of the spear.  The End in his right hand would go in to the ground, the end in the air that looks like a blade points at the lion.
3) Take off the top wrapping from your toga.  In this case it was the red squared thing he's wearing.  Taunt the lion with it.  Like enticing a bull, flap the cape around both sides of your spear.
4) As the lion starts approaching look for the moment he tenses up.  This means he is prepared to pounce.  As the lion pounces, cover the spear tip with the cape.  The lion, not knowing where the spear tip is, will impale itself.
5) With the lion impaled, take out your knife and cut the achilles tendon on each of the lions four legs.
6) The lion bleeds to death and you claim your wife.

If you asked me "Greg, how does someone kill a lion?" and I went over all this you'd say "Sure, like you wouldn't run away as fast as you can."  And your probably right.  But friends, let me tell you, as our Maasai friend went through the steps, I have no doubt he could.

Greg Inda 
World Class Traveler

-This photo was shot at ISO 100 1/640 f/6.3  At the time I was shooting in landscape mode on my Canon EOS 30D (I didn't know any better;).  Its been altered minimally in Photoshop CS3.
-For information on taking your own African Safari please check out www.oattravel.com and tell them Greg Inda sent you (It'll get you a discount).
-To check out more of my photography please visit my flickr page at www.flickr.com/photos/trefrog66 and if you like my stuff drop me a comment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a amazing photo. I'd love to feature it on Travel Photo Daily, if you're interested.